Monday, January 15, 2018

Letter #100 . . . last transfer, new comp, super duper cold!

Hey fam and friends! 

Weather has been super duper cold. Now it's been snowing the last few days! I kinda like it! Yes, Elder Skousen is awesome! He does speak ASL. When I was with Elder Sandkamp, the two of them would Skype all the time doing their ASL studies and practice together.  I feel that this is exactly what I needed this transfer. 

In Blue Springs
This past week was crazy, as I was serving in the Blue Springs 1st ward for a week. It's right next to the Blue Springs SECOND ward that I served in earlier. I loved going and visiting Bishop Hubner and the Lambs. Hubner is no longer the Bishop. We had a good visit. He is the one that listened to Dad's show all the time I don't know if you remember. He's also the one organizing this Youth Fireside for the stake's youth.

Yeah I'd be down to do Camp Alma. Yes, let me know what to speak about. Is Britt planning on going? Man oh man I miss my bros. Can't wait to see them all! Also, do I have a topic for my homecoming? Or no?

That could be pretty cool to do a musical number with past comps! Me, Griffiths, Amosa, Staheli...?

That's a sweet topic (Book of Mormon) Spence gets to speak on on Sunday.
January, 2018
  • Tell him to talk about the importance of EVERY PERSON developing their OWN testimony of that book at some point in their life. EVEN if, no, ESPECIALLY IF you've been a member your whole life. 
  • Tell him to share HIS own simple testimony and thoughts of the Book at some point, without a script. Not just the testimony that he thinks people want to hear, but his SINCERE thoughts and testimony of the book. Sincerity is what will bring the spirit.
  • Tell him reading it with real intent is the only way to feel clarity and peace in this world of so many conflicting and chaotic voices. 
  • The Book of Mormon is THE reason I decided to come on a mission. I personally would have been able to take and deal with the culture heat of not going on a mission. You know me, I'm not one to do things just to "people please." But the moment I read that book, I could not in my right mind not go out and give Him a few measly years of my life trying to share that with people. Feels like hardly a sacrifice when you feel how powerful that book is. 
Josh got an expander?? Oh man remember how much of a pain it was with me and my expander? I hated rotating that dang key. It was the worst. But Joshie, it's so worth it!! Your teeth are gonna look so purty. Haha I'm dying. One of the things I'm looking forward to most is hanging out with Jaker. I love that dude... He's my idol!

I miss Grandma. Doesn't happen all too often, but yesterday actually, I got teary thinking about her! I felt a sweet sadness as I remembered holding her cold hands at her funeral. The natural man's view of death is one of mourning, sorrow, and hopeless longing. Yet, there's a surreal peace that can come to us, when we take time to ponder the reality of God and his Plan for us. Do we TRULY believe that they still exist, and smile down at us? Do we REALLY believe that? Or is it just a comforting thought to ease the pain of reality? It's either fully true or fully wrong. There is no gray area, no in between!! What I do know, is that death is an empty, miserable thing if that belief isn't there, and I fully believe 100 percent that she IS alive, and IS happy, and wants us to know that our time without her, in an eternal perspective "shall be but a small moment." She is waiting for us! 

Love you all! Till next week!

Tan Man

No comments:

Post a Comment