Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Letter #22 . . . new companion, new area, new apartment!


Hey all!

Tanner and new comp from Alaska, Elder Kirkham!
Transfers were this week. Found out I was leaving Red Bridge, so I said my goodbyes to my fave families, the Niederhausers, the Paces, Christian and Madison Salazar, etc. My new area is the Hickory Hills Ward with Elder Kirkham. It's in the Lenexa Stake in Kansas, in the stake right next to my last one... I like it. It's alright so far. Kind of a tough area. There are a lot more socially different families/people over here, but it's all good. Elder Kirkham is sweet. He lives in Alaska and is a stud. He's a pretty quiet dude, but smart, and awesome and sensitive. He wants to be a Neurosurgeon! Reminds me of Mike your brother, Mom.

We do A TON of service in this area. Lots of people movin' out... Not surprising haha. We did this cool thing called The Lost Sheep Initiative where the ward council splits up, and each group goes and visits a list of members we do not know, to either confirm they don't live there anymore, or talk to them and let them know they are missed at church. That was pretty cool. I have never seen that done in any of my wards from home. First Sunday here was interesting. The ward is pretty different and disinterested. The general attitude is that  they don't want to be there so that's kinda lame. But the ward is sweet, I like it!! There were some cool talks given today. Andy Reid's daughter, and her husband who is the strength and fitness coach of the Chiefs both are in our Ward and spoke today. Andy Reid, the Coach of the Chiefs meets at our ward building . . . his ward overlaps ours! Hopefully we'll meet him 

sometime!


Kansas City Temple
I loved those pics of the parade! Sar, you are LEGIT! Can't believe you've grown that business into what it is now! Claire looked adorable as always. I've watched the video of her saying dada like 100 times, my companion is probably sick of it. Dang Brady!! Sorry your shoulder got jacked. That sounds awful. Love and miss you man! Happy Birthday this week Britton!! Miss you. That seriously blows my mind that you are old enough to date and drive. I remember when I used to change your diapers... Jk. I was flippin dying when I saw that waiter singing to you. I swear I have seen him before!! Pretty sure that same dude did that to me one time... I wish I was there, that was so dang funny...

Today we had Niel L. Anderson of the Quorum of the Twelve come and speak to us! It's funny, he called President super last minute telling him he'd be in the area and wanted to come visit the missionaries as he looks at church history.  According to president, Elder Anderson's phone call to President Vest went a little somethin like this. "Hello President Vest! This is Elder Anderson!" To which President replied, "Umm... Who? I don't know an Elder Anderson!" You see, Pres was confused because he thought it was a missionary calling, and he has no missionaries out here named Elder Anderson... Elder Anderson then said, "President, it's Elder Anderson of the Twelve." Sources say President Vest then allegedly pooped his pants... I was right on the front row! 


There is seriously nothing that brings the spirit more in my life,
than listening to an apostle of the Lord get emotional while he testifies 
of the reality of the Savior. He bore such a strong testimony of the 
truthfulness of the Restoration of this gospel. He said, in tears, how 
special it's going to be when we stand face to face with the Savior, 
and recognize him because we loved him with all of our heart, 
might, mind, and soul, and knew him in mortality... Ahhh so awesome. 
I got to shake his hand. It was super awesome.
 

I'm happy out here. I love the Savior. He is everything to me.
 

Love, Elder Townsend

No comments:

Post a Comment